Monday, December 07, 2009

Football Schmootball...

This past weekend I was reminded of why I don't "get into" football. Yeah, I am a fan of a team, but I am not a in-your-face, paint-my-body-orange, trash-talker-till-I'm-blue-in-the-face type of fan. In my opinion, a true fan can admit when their team played crappy, or just straight up sucks. If you can't do this, then you are an ignorant fan who probably didn't even watch the game to begin with. By the way, this applies to all sports of different kinds, not just football. Anyway, college football is like a religion in the South. I don't know why, it just is. In our State the two rival teams are the University of South Carolina and Clemson University.

Now, generally, Clemson is waaaaay better than South Carolina, but this year...South Carolina beat Clemson in their Rival game which was played Saturday a week ago. I am a Clemson fan, keep in mind, and we didn't get beat by just a few points. We got beat by a good many points. An embarrassing number of points. Still not as bad as the time we beat South Carolina 63 to 17 in 2003. Nevertheless, Clemson played like crap and South Carolina deserved to win that game.

We did have a pretty good season though, which is why we made it to the ACC Championship game where we got to replay Georgia Tech for the 2nd time this year. The game was scheduled for this past Saturday at 8 o'clock p.m. I wasn't like all excited about this game or anything. In fact, by the end of the season, I am generally so SICK of football that I would rather watch Basketball and anyone who knows me, knows that I can't stand to watch basketball. Anyway, no matter the outcome of the game, I knew that there would be several times during the game in which the Hubs would slam his hat on the floor, yell "SHIT!" numerous times, scream at the Refs like they can hear him, and change the channel out of pure irritation.

I was right. Especially since we lost the ACC Championship game. The good part is that the score was close. The bad part is all of the South Carolina fans who got way too much enjoyment out of us losing. This is the part that pisses me off the most. South Carolina fans are the worst at making excuses for their crappy team, but when Clemson lost to them for the first time in 3 years last Saturday night, they suddenly thought they were the kings of college football. There was absolutely nothing nice to say to any of us Clemson fans. So, you can imagine, when we lost the ACC Championship, there was even more, very unkind things that they said to us, me, Clemson fans. I decided Saturday night that this is why I don't like football. People don't watch it or pick teams just for fun, they do it so they can cut down other fans of other teams. They think that by putting a football team in front of them, that gives them permission to say whatever the want to rival team fans. I was picked on and made fun of less in school.

I have enough stress in my life without having fans of other teams, call me names and accuse me of things. I know that they do not mean anything "personally" by it, but when you call out a group of people by the name of "Clemson fans", that includes me. So, it kind of pisses me off. My Facebook was lit up with all kinds of mean and unkind words on Saturday night after that game. I couldn't help but get mad, and it took the fun out of football for me.

Anyway, we have one bowl game left and then the season is over. I cannot wait either! Football fans played a major role in making my weekend suck, and I am ready to be done with it all.

How was everyone else's weekend?

2 and a half weeks until CHRISTMAS! HOLY CRAP!


...Samantha

3 comments:

MrsM said...

See...I hate all sports for a reason. Too much testosterone can make a person stupid LOL. We got our tree this weekend and made all of our homemade decorations. Oh, and we were all sick. Good times-still better than football though =)

Helene said...

You're right! That totally sucks the fun out of the sport! I can't believe people would be rude to you on FB over a football game! That's crazy!

The (Un)Experienced Mom said...

Yeah, I'm not that into football. I mean, I'll watch it if it's on, but I don't look forward to games.

Our weekend was uneventful really. But that's a good thing since lately there's been lots going on!

;-)