Thursday, February 25, 2010

Try This! Thursday - Vanilla Spice Oatmeal

I've never been too big on oatmeal, at least not the instant microwavable kind, but I found a recipe for a home made oatmeal that blows those instant oatmeal mixes out of the water...literally. You have got to try this!

Vanilla Spice Oatmeal

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Yield: 4 servings Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, plus more, to taste
- 1 cup lowfat milk, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Stir in the oats and raisins, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, place nuts, if using, in a dry skillet over a medium-high flame, and toast, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- When the oats are cooked remove pan from the flame and stir in the vanilla and nutmeg. Swirl in the brown sugar and place the oatmeal in serving bowls. Pour 1/4 cup of milk on top of each bowl, and top with toasted nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Note: For a quicker version using quick cooking or plain instant oatmeal: Cook the oatmeal according to the directions on the package. Stir raisins, brown sugar, and nutmeg into the cooked oatmeal. Top with milk, nuts (toasted or un-toasted) and cinnamon.

For this recipe and more like it, click here.

I am looking for guest posters to guest post for Try This! Thursday. I thought it would be fun for you to share some of your favorite recipes! So, if you are interested in doing a guest spot, please drop me an email!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6 comments:

Menopausal New Mom said...

Samantha, I love oatmeal! Must have something to do with our long cold winters. The most "out there" thing I've ever heard was to use apple juice instead of water.

Now your recipe sounds delicious! Just might be trying this little one, I love vanilla and nutmeg but would pass on the walnuts. Still Looks yummy!

Ian said...

Don't like oatmeal, but that looks ok. I think. Probably. Maybe I'll ask the wife.

Emailing you my recipe.

Crafty Doll said...

I love oatmeal and that pic looks delicious! I'm doing the P90X program and usually have oatmeal for breakfast. I'm def. going to try the recipe. Thanks for posting. Hi, I'm Michelle btw. :-)

Brandy@YDK said...

i don't like raisins. eeeewww

Kristy said...

Oooooooooooooooh, I DO love oatmeal, and this sounds delicious!

Pandorah's Box said...

Oh that sounds to die for! I love oatmeal and I cannot wait to try this!

Thank you!