Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentines Day

I always thought that Valentines Day was a pointless holiday. Even now that I am married, and am certain to have a Valentine...I still find it a very ridiculous holiday. It's not fair to the already insecure people, who are boyfriend/girlfriend-less, and are forced to scrounge up some friends who are single and find something to do that will outweigh the holiday. This usually means doing something illegal. On the other hand, there are the people who have a girlfriend/boyfriend husband/wife, and are under a great deal of pressure to get their special someone something over the top. After barely getting through Christmas, these people are very unsure of what exactly to do. Evidently, the type of flower that he buys for her is a symbolism. He doesn't want to send the wrong message, and what if it's something bad? He doesn't want to stay safe with roses, because then she takes that as meaning that he didn't put much thought into the flower situation. The men are going crazy, the girls are too expectant, and before they know it, they are in this huge whirlwind of "what to do". This completely sucks the fun out of Valentines Day.

For me, I could careless if we celebrate Valentines Day, but to prevent people from looking at us as though we are crazy...we do get each other a little bit of something. I bought Bree a little Valentines Day bear, and got Paul some "unmentionables" that I'll actually be wearing....but he will be enjoying. I don't find it necessary to make a big deal out of this holiday, but evidently others do. If you're one of those people, my hats off to you!

Tomorrow is Valentines Day though, so I must wish you a happy Valentines Day.

0 comments: