Thursday, September 24, 2009

Just a Bunch of Babble...

Bree carries on full conversations with me now. The only problem is that most of it is a bunch of babble. I try very hard to make out what she's saying, or to even pick a word out of the whole sentence that I can understand, but with no avail! It really bothers me, because my daughter is trying to have a conversation with me. She wants to talk to me, and I can't understand her. I can, however, differentiate between a question and a statement. To most of her questions I reply, "Yeah". She looks at me like I'm crazy, and then goes about doing whatever she was doing. I think she understands that I don't speak babble.

I do know, that I'll be very excited the day that the babble turns into the english language. I can't wait to sit and have conversations with my Bree. I can tell you right now, she's pretty interesting and pretty funny. She makes me laugh, even when I don't understand what she's saying. I can't imagine the laughs I'll have when I can understand every single word!

Here is a list of a few new words or phrases she has learned lately:
-love you too(my favorite)
-where's errett?(Errett is my brother, and she actually pronounces it "Et")
-Awwww(mostly said whenever she puts a bow in her baby dolls hair)
-got to pee pee?(I guess she figures I need to be asked if I have to pee too)

I hope I begin to understand her pretty soon. A part of me feels like a bad mama, because I don't understand everything she says. I've seen kids babble something that sounded like straight up japanese, and the mother understood what they said. I remember thinking that it must be a mommy thing. That maybe only mommys understand the language. Evidently I'm missing something, but I was never that good at learning different languages either. Spanish was practically incomprehensible for me.

Oh well.

Guess what??

It's almost the weekend!

3 comments:

MrsM said...

Oh no one actually knows what their toddler is talking about in the beginning. We all just nod and play along. Usually I say "Really?! And then what happened?" to a statement or "Sounds good!" to a question. After a while though the speech starts to become clear to mommy---and that does happen long before anyone else can decipher what the kid is saying.

A good idea that I've found is to ask her a lot of questions. That way she hears questions being formed and can mimic them as readily as she mimics the phrases you say.

Just keep talking to her, eventually she'll make more sense!

Samantha said...

It's so cute, and I do understand more than others do. I get to translate quiet a bit, but I do feel bad when I can't understand everything. But Bree understands I don't understand her. So that's good. But I do talk to her alot, and I will start asking her questions though. She has picked up on some of the questions that I do ask, like, 'what's wrong?' and some other things.

Her babble is so sweet though. It makes me smile :)

Samantha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.