Saturday, September 19, 2009

Potato, Ham & Cheese Soup Recipe!

Fall is around the corner, and cold, chilly nights are upon us. I for one, absolutely love soup during the fall & winter time. Nothing can soothe the soul quiet like a PB&J served with a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup. However, two years ago, I came across this recipe for Potato, Ham & Cheese soup. We made it up one night, and have been hooked ever since. During the Fall and Winter, we have this soup at least once a week. Yes, it's that good. I thought I would share with you this recipe, and hope that you make it too!

Potato, Ham & Cheese Soup
Serves: 4
Ingredients
-1 stick of butter
-A pair of shallots
-1 Cup of chopped/cubed ham
-1/2 cup of flour
-2 cans of chicken broth
-2 large white potatoes, cut into cubes
-16 ounces of half & half
-1 cup of graded sharp cheddar cheese
-Dash of black pepper

Directions:
In a large saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter. Add shallots and cook until translucent. Add ham, flour and stir. Add chicken broth, stir until smooth. Simmer until thick & creamy, stirring frequently. Add potatoes, continuing to stir frequently until potatoes are tender. Add cheese, and half & half, stirring together. Add pepper to taste, and serve.

I promise you, that you will not regret making this. It takes a little bit of time, but it's well worth it!

3 comments:

Nikki, from Sittin' Pretty said...

This sounds good! Hi, I'm Nikki. You have the cutest blog and I LOVE the title! I have a 5 yr old son and 2 yr old daughter so I'm all about the apple juice and milk. I decided to follow you. I'm a new blogger. Maybe you can come by and visit sometime! I'm trying to meet some new friends. couponsandrecipes.blogspot.com

Have a great night!

MrsM said...

YUM! I'd have to pick the ham out myself (since I went vegetarian again) but It seems like a good compromise for everyone and a good winter meal!

Sorry I haven't been commenting, I've been feeling yucky lately =( Hopefully I can recoup by the end of the weekend!

Samantha said...

Hi Nikki, thanks for coming by! I'm glad you like my blog, and I am definitely checking out yours! Apple juice & milk seemed to be my life there for a while. I've since switched my 2 year old over to water, but she calls it juice & she LOVES milk :D

MrsM, it is the best soup you could ever put in your mouth, but it would be good just potato and cheese too. Potato soup is my all time favorite. I particularly enjoy the ham, but I'm not a vegetarian either :) The broth itself is delicious with just the cheese, half and half and flour mix.

I hope you get to feeling better! It's been so icky around here lately, I don't know how I haven't gotten sick! Maybe you should make you a big bowl of Potato & Cheese soup :) It soothes the soul!