Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wordful Wednesday: Stay At Home Moms are not as valuable as working Moms

I didn't know that when Paul and I made the decision that I would be a stay at home Mom, that I would be looked down upon. I didn't know that, evidently, it makes me less valuable than a Mom who works a paying job. Notice I said paying job, because being a stay at home Mom is just as much of a job if not harder than most, and we don't get paid for it.

This is all came about when the Hubs went to talk to his manager about what he could do to earn a bit more money. Somehow, the entire conversation got turned around to me and why don't I get a job. Oh, and Facebook made it into the conversation too. Evidently people think I sit on my butt all day long, update Facebook, and do nothing else. Obviously, these people have never been in my house, or spent a day with me. And obviously these people have never been on Twitter. Tweeters can't fart without having to update about it. Anyway, I feel like my place right now, at this point in time, is right here with Bree, at home. Why would I want to place her in daycare where she would catch all kinds of illnesses from the other kids? Bree has never been sick more than three times in the entire two years that she has been alive. That number would double if I placed her into daycare.

Yes, money is tight around here, and a second income would be nice. But if that involves getting a job, and placing Bree into daycare...there wouldn't be enough money to make up the difference. The cost of daycare these days is outrageous, not to mention the price of gas to take me to work and back, the cost of clothes to wear in an office or wherever, the cost of lunch, etc. I really don't think it would make much of a difference.

I shouldn't have to come up with a list of reasons of why I am a stay-at-home-Mom. It's really no one else's business. I'm not any less of a person, or any less valuable than a Mother who is working. If you're not a mother, you can't have an opinion. Period. If you don't know what it is like to stay at home with your two year old, and keep a house clean & running, then you just can't have an opinion. I mean, I guess you can, it's just not valid.

I have had one crappy week. Monday I have some girl cussing me out telling me that I am liar, and this and that, and Tuesday I have someone telling me I am lazy that I should be doing something to contribute to my family. These people have no idea who I am. Everything I have been accused of over the past couple of days, are things that go against my integrity. Things that aren't true, and things that I make a point not to do. What do you do when you have people like this, just talking straight up trash about you? I've been out of high school so long now, I forget how to deal with it.

I'm not going to get a job, but I am interested in trying to make money with my blog. I'm not exactly sure how to go about getting started with it, but I am definitely interested. Also, I was thinking about getting a Hooked on Phonics program or something of that nature, based on Bree's age, so that I could go ahead and start preschooling her. Not sure what I should be looking for, but I definitely think she is ready to do alot of learning.

3 comments:

Chell said...

SAHM's do get paid... just not in the form of money. There are many benefits for families with SAHMs. They get things that are priceless. They get to care for their babies/children and their children benefit also. You are so blessed to get to be a SAHM! Not everyone can do that, it is not a bad thing in any way! Don't let someone else tell you different! Don't get me wrong, there are benefits to both situations(working mom vs SAHM)working was my only options, so I chose to work in a field that I would see my child everyday - Teaching. Once she got older, I went back to accounting...I am in no way bashing the work moms...

Samantha said...

I am not bashing working moms either. I respect them. My Mom worked, and I know it wasn't easy for her. I guess alot of people (without kids) think that SAHM are lazy, and don't do much of anything, which is completely untrue. It's a true job, and you're right, I don't get paid in the form of money, but being able to be home with my child and watch her learn all of these new and wonderful things, is priceless. I've heard all of her first words. I love it. But I don't want to be bashed for doing what I know is right for Bree.

MrsM said...

If anyone tells me they think I am lazy because I'm a stay at home mom I offer to allow them to spend 24 hours doing what I do with my three kidlets five and under.

Strangely, no one ever accepts my offer. CHICKENS.

Being a SAHM is an underpaid and under appreciated position.