Monday, October 05, 2009

A Birthday Disaster.

Okay. So maybe that's being a little dramatic, but yesterday's birthday dinner that I cooked for my Mom and Dad didn't go AT ALL how I had planned.

Problem number one:
No one told me how difficult and time consuming loaded twice baked potatoes are.

Problem number two:
You would think that I would have learned by now, to stop sending the hubby to the grocery store to get stuff. He spends too much money, and instead of "medium russett potatoes" he gets the biggest freakin' potatoes he can find.

For some reason, everyone is always hungry on Sundays. That's why eating is the first thing on everyone's list when they get out of church. Knowing this, Paul and I left church about 15 minutes early in hopes of having lunch ready by at least 1:30. Ha! Try three o'clock. I figured out at about 1:30 that this was going to take a while, and then I got pretty upset. I'm a perfectionist, and I had already had it in my head how I wanted this to go. When it started going in the complete opposite direction, it upset me. I had nine people waiting on me to get their lunch cooked. I can't handle that kind of pressure, especially when it's not going the way it was supposed to.

We finally ate around 3 o'clock, and everyone commented on how good it was. Still, I couldn't help but be upset at how long I made everyone wait to eat. Never EVER EVER EVER will I EVER do anything like that again. Food Network [dot] Com lied. They put the difficulty level of that particuar recipe at "Easy". It definitely was not easy. For that reason, I will not share the recipe here (unless you want it), to spare you the extremely difficult time I had with these things. It is no fun at all.

Today, it is 50 degrees and rainy! How does it go from being 80 degrees on Saturday to 57 degrees today? We live in the most bipolar region in the States I do believe. I wish I could just sit around in my sweat pants and hoodie, drinking coffee all day, but unfortunately they stopped delivering groceries years ago. I think I'll petition to get that back. You can get pizza delivered right to your door, why not groceries? Having grocery deliveries would definitely help out a lot of households all across the United States. It might even change lives!

I want to wish my Mother a very happy birthday today! I hope it's the best birthday ever & forget the fact that you're only 5 years away from being half a century old :) Love you Mama!




Image and video hosting by TinyPic

11 comments:

Brandy@YDK said...

that's why I hate cooking. it's NEVER easy.

but i'm glad it all turned out well for you

Nikki, from Sittin' Pretty said...

Awww Sam what a nice thing to do for your mom. I'm totally smiling with you and not at you. Ok, so you're probably not smiling about it just yet. I'm sure it was delicious and everyone had a fantabulous time! Good job.

Samantha said...

I despise cooking. Yesterday just made it even worse. I'm glad it was good though. It would have really been bad had it taken 2 hours to cook, and then tasted bad on top of that!

Everyone did have fun, but I still can't help but feel bad that it took so long to cook. Roast and a mac-n-cheese pie is definitely on the menu next time :)

Rocky Mountain Memoirs said...

I can totally relate to...this sounds like my Thanksgiving last year. I always plan ahead because, like you, I want the event to turn out the way I have it pictured in my head. Well, I guess because I was not working outside the home for the first time in 10 years, I did not do the planning in as much detail as previous years. I was stressed and felt horrible because things were not going as planned. This year, I've already begun my lists and schedules, so hope it goes smoother!

Sounds like it all turned out okay in the end. :)

Jenny said...

I've made twice baked potatoes ONCE! It took so long that I've never attempted them again. They are so good though!

Samantha said...

I definitely should have planned better, and Jenny my Mom said the same thing. I remember having them once or twice while growing up. Now I know why we only had them once or twice. I probably will never make them again...but they are way good. This particular recipe called for ground beef and broccoli in them! It was sooo good.

Becky said...

Every year I agree to do Thanksgiving with dreams of Marth Stewart decor and cooking. I knock myself out, and am a mess with a knot in my stomach by the time it gets to the table in which I don't eat a bite.

And every year I say NEVER again~ That was horrible!

And every year, I don't remember it being THAT bad and agree to have Thankgiving at my house...

MrsM said...

I LOVE cooking, but I have to admit it takes an insane amount of planning and organization and very careful orchestration. In the end it's only worth it if you like to do it.

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but I know where I live both Safeway and Albertsons deliver groceries...check with one of the bigger grocery stores and see-home delivery is making a comeback!

Samantha said...

I'll have more dinners for my parents, but they'll be simple. No more twiced baked potatoes!

I have phases where I want to cook and rather enjoy it, but after the events of Sunday...I'm sure it will be awhile before I have another one of those phases :)

& Mrs M, we don't have either of those two grocery stores over here on the East Coast. I wish we did! We have Publix, Bilo, Ingles & Bloom. None of the 4 deliver :(

Mother Mayhem said...

Next time, order the pizza. ;o)

Samantha said...

Pizza would have definitely been the easier choice! Wowzers.